Name Logo

 

 

 

Facebook

 

Our Village

While the first official recording of Alderton was in the Domesday book (with a population of eight), there is very strong evidence that the village predates this by some period. Excavations in fields surrounding the village have found items suggesting there was an iron age settlement on the site of Alderton.

Roman coins and Norman artefacts have been found within the parish, and the village itself lies within half a mile of the Roman Watling Street (A5).

To the south of the village is a Motte, one of two Scheduled Ancient Monuments in the village, and which is believed to be the site of an early defended manor house.

The other Scheduled Ancient Monument, the Mount, a Norman ringworks is located on high ground within the village. In 2000, Time Team archaeology dig suggested that it was built in the 11th century, and artefacts from the surrounding area bears this out.

By the end of the 14th century, the castle on The Mount had become disused, and the village was predominantly small cottages, with no large houses. In 1582 a very large manor house was built by William Gorges on land owned by Elizabeth I’s chancellor, Sir Christopher Hatton. Queen Anne of Denmark stayed at the Manor during 1605.

Church

It is believed that Alderton is made up of three smaller communities and was predominantly agricultural, with seven working farms in the village. By the mid- 19th century there were just two farms remaining.

Following the demolition of the Manor House in the 18th and 19th centuries, Horton House (1695) became the largest house in the village.

The village has changed little over the past century. Much of the village was owned by the Duke of Grafton, who sold 18 properties in 1920. Neither farm (Horton or Manor) sold at this time, but Thomas Fermor-Hesketh (1st Baron Hesketh) purchased both in 1939.

The main changes are the demise of The Plough (1958), demolition of Manor Farmhouse, and the addition of a small number of houses in 1960’s along Pury Road and Church Lane.

For information about our church, St. Margaret's, click here.